As you consider pledging this fall, here are a few questions you might ask:
- Why, when a previous parish administrator left, was more than $1,000 in loose cash found in her office, as well as numerous stale checks?
- Why were these issues not detected in advance of her departure?
- What safeguards have been implemented so that this cannot happen again? “I trust Beth,” is NOT a safeguard, by the way.
- Why does the parish not have a finance manual as required by canon law, even after 28 years of Bob Malm?
- What do the answers to these questions tell me about the parish? About Bob Malm’s job performance? About the vestry? About respect for people and resources?